Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Work weekend and Opening Day Update

Well last weekend, Lisa and the kids headed down to Columbus with Lisa's Mom to meet up with some family members while I stayed back and hit the basement hard.  On Friday Lisa and I actually headed up to the Detroit area to take a look at a stereo rack she found on Craigslist that looked perfect for my basement project.  The rack was a little rough but for my purpose, it looks like it would do just fine.  Once the family left for Columbus on Saturday morning, I headed down to cut and add a few studs to frame in the area where the stereo components will be built into the wall.  Everything was going fine until it came time to re-attach the glass doors on the rack.  Yep, you guessed it...a 4 foot by 20 inch piece of tempered glass shattered in my hands.  I didn't even bump it.  It just shattered into a thousand tiny pieces.  If I weren't so damn manly, I would have cried.  Now I am in search of a place that will cut glass for me to repair the now worthless rack.

I also moved a smoke detector, re-ran wiring to the same smoke detector and ran 52 lengths of insulation.  I am now officially ready for drywall.  I've been urged by a few people to hang the drywall myself but I definitely have reservations.  I think Lisa has them as well.  So I met with a drywall guy this afternoon to get a quote.  The main issue we're going to have is that we need to take out some existing drywall in the hallway leading down to the basement to make a turn in the stairwell.  The clearances in the hallway will not allow for a 4X8 sheet of drywall to fit down the stairs.  Hopefully the quote comes in where I think it should and I can begin the process.  I really do think this will be a hired out part of the project. What will take 7 days to complete for the professionals will end up taking me 4 weeks.  I really hope I will be painting by the end of the month!

Opening day was pretty much as it has been for the past 14 or so years.  Nothing exciting to report except to say we had a very drunk, sick person with us this year.  I will not mention names other than to say it wasn't me or my brother.  Or anyone I've known for more than 20 years or less than 5.  That pretty much narrows it down.

At the new Student Union at OSU

No comments: