Thursday, January 27, 2011

Basement Adjustments

Well, I had a complaint about cold feet in the basement (I'm not going to rat him out) so I decided to make an adjustment to hopefully take care of the issue.  I did take a temperature reading and the basement is running 1-2 degrees colder than the main floor of the house at floor level.  I'm not sure I will be able to completely correct the differential but I decided I would give it a try. 

I ended up running a new branch of duct for the heating and cooling system on one end of the basement and it went so well that I may run another on the opposite side of the basement tonight.  The unfinished side of the wall is ugly but the living side looks like the register has been there all the time.  Who really cares what the side looks like that no one really sees anyway?  The whole job took less than an hour and the one I'm going to run tonight will take even less time.  Here are a few pictures; most of you will be bored but if you are....don't look!

Helper Katie putting her two cents worth in.


Register boot on the unfinished side of the wall
Cut for the trunk line boot
Rather ugly duct tape job on the main truck boot but I couldn't find my Aluminum duct tape (only temporary)

Duct running and connected to the boots

All Finished!

2 comments:

Brad said...

Is the duct flexible? It looks like it it just made of garbage bag plastic.

Tim said...

yeah, it's flexible. It has a metal wire reinforced plastic duct in the middle then about 2 inches of fiberglass and the outside is what you see. The outside is like a thick garbage bag material. The inner duct is a bit tougher than the outer covering.