Monday, August 25, 2008

So there I sat on Friday afternoon, just waiting until the weekend would start so I could just hang around the house and relax. Then the first text message came in: "I'm brewing beer on Sunday and you're welcome to come help and drink some beers in the process". Who am I to pass up drinking beer? 8 hours later and Lisa, the kids and Lisa's mom and dad were sitting in Chicago land drinking several of Brad's fresh home brews. By the way, the home brew was delicious; much better than my feeble attempt at brewing beer several years ago with a Mr. Beer kit. I'm convinced my issues were purely in poor sanitation methods and really bad measuring. One day in the not too distant future, I may give it another try since I'm now much better educated in the process.

On Saturday, I watched Brad brew and it really seems rather simple. I can't believe I botched it up so bad when I tried it. Once the brewing was done, we headed over to Two Brother's Brewing Company for lunch. Since I have been watching my rapidly expanding girlie figure I had the grilled veggie sandwich and it was really good. Lisa and Shawn split a pizza that I managed to sneak a piece of and it was good as well. Once we finished lunch we took the brewery tour which was really interesting and the beer samples weren't bad either.

Sunday we headed out to breakfast and then to an ethnic grocery store. We headed back about 1pm. I did make the trip in record time. On the way over my total moving time according to my GPS was 3 hours, 45 minutes. My return drive time was a mere 3:30! Of course actual time was longer due to gas and rest room stop but not by much. With such a short commute to Brad's maybe I will do it more often.

Tonight we're taking Shawn to a cross country practice to see if he likes it. Cross country practices 3 times a week and they have 5 meets this fall. Shawn's grade is classified as junior and their races are 3/4 mile long. I'm not sure how he's going to like running but I guess I will see very shortly. If he likes it, he's going to have to get a quick physical in order to get a doctor's release to participate. Next week, Shawn starts piano lessons. He's pretty excited about piano so hopefully the piano that has been collecting dust in the living room for the past 12 years will finally get some use. Unfortunately, it also means we will have to invest some cash in getting it tuned.

Lisa and I are taking Friday off this week so we have a short work week this week and next week and an extended long weekend coming up. I can't believe we are moving into September soon and the leaves are beginning to change a lighter shade of green. Before you know it, the leaves will be gone, the weather will be crappy and work will become hectic once again. I can't wait until spring already!

No comments: