Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Haven't blogged much lately; I think it is because I am not sure what to blog about. Not much too horribly interesting happening as of late. My latest project is trying to figure out what to do with all the extra mulch I have. I ordered seven cubic yards of mulch which is actually only one extra yard than I ordered last year but for some reason it was entirely too much.

This is what seven cubic yards looks like:














I spread about 5 yards in the usual places like in the large beds in the front yard and around the tree in the tree-lawn or devil strip (that's for you Bev). I still had about 2 yards or so left. What to do what to do...............

I wasn't prepared to start a major landscaping project in the back yard just yet; although it is coming soon. I decided to dress up the area of trees that I have in the back yard. The end of our property line is designated as a utility easement and also intended by the neighborhood developer as an environmental buffer between properties. The houses on our street, actually our side of the street, are the only ones that don't back up to a lake. I think the natural buffer and the larger lots were the developer's way of making up for the lack of water frontage.

Anyway, this is what the area looked like before:





























And this is what the space looks like now:


Unfortunately, I still have a bunch of mulch left. Looks like I am going to have to get creative.

Last fall, the developers put in all the utilities and paved the road for the lots directly behind our house. When the lots were being leveled, additional trees were planted on the new lots. The wind whips through this area so strong that most of the newly planted evergreens were leaning heavily away from the prevailing wind. So the large clump of trees seen in the backround of the previous picture is the beginning of the landscaper's fix. I haven't the slightest clue why but the landscaping company dug up all the trees and planted them in the clump that you see in the picture. They are now one by one re-planting them in their original spots. Hopefully they decide to stake the trees this time.

Man my back hurts!!

1 comment:

Brad said...

That's a lot of mulch.