Monday, May 23, 2011

Landscape and fesitval weekend

Nothing but work this weekend and sore muscles for me.  Friday, I took half a day off work, cut the grass and marked off the area I planned on removing sod to clear the way for a new flower bed.  Friday was definitely the easiest days of the weekend.  Friday evening, Shawn and I saw the newest Pirates of the Caribbean movie in 3D.  I'm not a big movie fan and for the life of me, I can't seem to go to a movie or watch one at home for that matter without dozing off.  This movie was no different.  Thankfully, I think I only missed about 3 minutes of this one.  Not a bad movie but nowhere near as dark as the previous episodes.

While Shawn and I were at the movie, Lisa and Katelyn attended our church's festival that took place all weekend.  Katie met up with two of her best friends and terrorized the place for a couple of hours. 

Here are a few pictures.

Katie and Avery with newly painted faces

Katie's first merry-go-round ride solo

Two peas in a strawberry

Bug for a bug

Avery, Katie and Hallie


On our way home from the movie, Shawn and I stopped by the office to pick up the company box truck.  Saturday morning, I picked up a sod cutter, which by the way weighs a ton and headed off to my boss' daughter's house to clear sod for their new patio.  The sod cutter broke within 5 minutes and we waited around for the service guy to repair it.  After that fun, I loaded up the sod cutter and headed off to my house.  As you can probably imagine, nothing was going to go as planned for me.  Saturday, after all, was the day to end the world as we know it.  As I was cutting our sod, I also cut the cable TV wires.  Not once but twice!  Yep, no television, internet access, phone or security system for us.  I guess they don't bury the cables all that deep.  The cable was pretty much just below the surface.  Fortunately for us, the cable company got us back up the next day but now I have a cable running on top of my lawn for the next two weeks.

After cutting as much of my sod as I could do with the machine, I headed to Lisa's parent's house to cut some sod around a small bed where they planted a few ornamental grasses.  Unfortunately,  no one told me the sod cutter doesn't work very well on slopes.  Every time the sod cutter was too vertical, the engine shut off.  I'm sure this feature is for safety but it's not a feature you want when you have to work on a hill.  I cut as much as I could but left half for Bev and Ted to cut out by hand.  I also dumped off about 4 wheel barrows full of my sod in a drainage ditch by the side of Bev and Ted's house.  I hope the grass catches and fills in the dead areas they currently have in the ditch. 

Here are a few pictures of my new flower bed:
Before with the bed marked

Finished bed

Area of the cable mishap

Sunday night, I finished up pulling the sod where I had to do it by hand and then headed to the festival for a couple of hours.  All I can tell you is I am extremely sore this morning.

I plan on purchasing some plants tonight if the weather hold out and begin planting.  I figure I will need to order a couple more yards of mulch too.

No comments: