Monday, February 02, 2009

Superbowl Weekend

This weekend pretty nice. We started on Friday heading out to pick up groceries for the weekend's festivities and grabbing a bite to eat at Applebee's using a gift card I got for my 40th (thanks Marsha and Ray). Later that evening I kegged my latest batch of beer which turned out pretty well. I was drawn to this particular beer due to the type of hop it had in the kit. I'm not sure that the Simcoe hop is my favorite any longer. This beer, while very drinkable, is my least favorite of the 3 I've brewed so far. I'm not sure what the issue is with this one but It's a bit more bitter than the double IPA I brewed last and not in a hop-head good way but not an entirely bad way either. I know I'm not making too much sense here and no, I haven't been hitting the keg at lunch-time either but I know what I'm trying to say.

Saturday, Lisa and I spent time cleaning up and preparing the food that we could prepare ahead of time for our Superbowl gathering at the house. We also ran a few errands, one to Hobby Lobby for a few items to finish my once a decade craft project and for some silk flowers for Lisa's arrangement for the foyer. I decided with the imagination of a very crafty young lady at work to try my hand at a decorative wine bottle lamp and it really didn't turn out too badly. I made one for Lisa and I using a bottle of wine from the winery I won my Key West trip (Menage a trois) and one for Lisa's mom, Bev, using a wine bottle I've blogged about in the past that we found in her father's basement after he passed away several years ago. Here are a few pictures of the finished product:Sunday Lisa and the kids along with her Mom and Dad went to our Church's pancake breakfast while I dug out the driveway of the major drifts that developed overnight. The rest of the day was spent preparing for the party. Of course getting ready for the party meant throwing back a few homebrews and sharing with Bev and Ted. I set up a sampler of different beers to try which included my old favorite lager (Miller Lite), a new everyday favorite (Sierra Nevada Pale Ale) and one each of my homebrews on tap. Here's a picture of the samplers, can you guess which beer is which?
Sunday evening people arrived at 5 and we had our Superbowl feast consisting of: Homemade french onion dip, two different salsas, beef pinwheels, Sloppy Joe's, mini hot dogs wrapped in croissants, boneless chicken wings (plain, BBQ and Buffalo style) with homemade blue cheese dip, pasta salad, Tony Packo's chili Hungarian sausage (Toledo staple), cupcakes, brownies and you guessed it....beer! Homebrew of course!

Lisa and I garbaged up on Superbowl squares! Lisa won two quarters and I won two. We only played 25 cents per square but we ended up walking away with our money back and we made up for the squares we bought at work (didn't win anything) for a bit more money.

Watched the game with predicted results (I just hate when the Steelers win) and everyone was gone about 10 minutes after the game ended. Not sure if any of the commercials hit me as being outstanding this year but the 3-D commercial was fun. Bev picked up enough glasses for everyone and the two commercials in 3-D were pretty well done. I think we will watch the television show that is being broadcast 3-D tonight as well.

Pretty much back to work today and looking forward to Kate's birthday party this weekend.Skylar and Shawn 3-D

Joyce and Tom (Jill's parent) having fun in 3-D

The kids playing smear the queer

2 comments:

Brad said...

1. Going forward I will use simcoe for bittering only and the three C's for flavoring and aroma.

2. What is a wife bottle?

3. My guess from left to right is double IPA, simcoe, Sierra Nevada Pale ale, Miller Lite.

4. I am jealous of your Super Bowl menu!

Tim said...

Wife bottle corrected, thanks Sensei! But if you need to know a wife bottle is defined as a little bottle you shove your wife in after you cut her up into little pieces after a night of a few too many homebrews. Alternatively it is similar to a magic Jeannie bottle that you rub and your wife has to give you three wishes.

I tend to agree with you on the Simcoe use. The beer isn't bad but not my fav.

Correct on the identification, you win a nice tall pint of homebrew next time I see you.

You have every right to be envious of the Superbowl spread but you are always welcome to partake in the festivities