Thursday, March 05, 2009

The morning after

In a phrase, Great Blazin Challenge..........Don't do it! Wow, the morning after is definitely worse than the Challenge itself or maybe it is the challenge. I have the worse bout of heartburn ever and I don't even want to describe the other physical ailments associated with this silly adolescent food challenge. Wow, that's really all I can say.

Brad asked a question that I probably should answer and expand on. He asked me how hot were the wings and if I would ever order them if not part of the challenge. Well the wings are about as hot as any I've ever had including the time when my college room mate and my fraternity brother and former cousin-in-law twice removed (making the family tree reference up by the way) called Mr. Spot's in BG and asked for the absolute hottest wings they could make. I believe John specifically said "make the wings so hot they burn my ass so badly I can't sit for days". The B-dub wings definitely had a pretty fair amount of habanero included in the sauce; I could only tell you this because by the time I was on my second wing I had uncontrollable hiccups which is what occurs to me every time I encounter a scotch bonnet. These beasts were hot, I cried from the second wing on as well. However, I could have shaved about 45 seconds off my time if I would have let the wings cool down a bit before I started. I was so excited to get the challenge started that I forgot the wings were just removed from a deep fryer at more than 375 degrees. As for the second part of Brad's question "would I order them again"...yeah more than likely because I'm an idiot!

I've actually had these beasts before. The blazin sauce used to be my normal coating back when I would eat them on 30 cent wing Wednesday when I lived in Grand Rapids. I do remember that I would order extra blue cheese to cool them down a bit though and they were always accompanied by large amounts of diet Coke. Lately in my middle aged struggles with my metabolic rate, I really don't order wings when we are at B-Dubs due to the high caloric and fat content in the beauties. I typically eat things like grilled chicken tenders and choose a more reasonable sauce like Wild (one step below Blazin) or Mango-Habanaro (two steps below).

I guess I'm just a sucker for a food challenge. It all started when my junior high friends would dare me to eat a live minnow from the creek that ran behind my childhood house then on to John and his father daring me to eat nasty hot pepper and finally the traditional Fraternity prank of eating live gold-fish at a party. Bring on the 72 ounce steak! Bring on the 15 dozen oysters! Fat boy gotta eat!

No comments: