Monday, March 02, 2009

Second Grade Boys

This past weekend started a little early for me on Friday. I had to set up our company's trade show booth downtown for an event that we sponsor and then decided to call it a day. After the set up was done one of my salesmen and I stopped for lunch at a new Chicago-style pizza joint they opened downtown called PizzaPapalis. PizzaPapalis has been around for quite sometime in Michigan, specifically in Detroit's Greektown area, but this was the first time I had the opportunity to try their pie. The pie was as good as any Chicago style pizza I've had outside of Chicago. It may even be my number two favorite Chicago style second to Lou Malnati's. I ordered a small spinach special which consisted of spinach, three cheeses and mushrooms. The crust was the best, nice and flaky (just like me). I could only eat half the small pie and I was stuffed. Katelyn garbaged up on the leftovers over the weekend. I think she ate an entire piece by herself on Saturday for breakfast. This is a place that I can see taking people to when visiting from out of town (including you Brad). The owners purchased an old moth-balled building right next to 5/3 field and refurbished it; they did a great job.

Saturday was a day of rest which was pretty much needed for what we had in store on Sunday...Shawn's birthday party with his classmates!

Shawn invited 14 boys to a bowling party and 12 ended up attending. Now, if you haven't had the joy of overseeing a dozen second graders at function in a public place, you don't have any idea what you're missing. Lisa and I pretty much played babysitter, prison guard, mental ward worker and peace makers for the better part of 3 hours. Actually, the boys were pretty well behaved for the most part. One of the boys figured out the pop machine was broken to the point that he could insert a dollar into the machine and pull it out and still get a pop. That probably lasted about 6 pops until the bill finally ripped. Then there was the constant wandering around and going to the bathroom constantly and running thought the building. It wouldn't have been so bad but there were at least 5 other bowling parties going on at the same time and the kids all seemed to blend together. Nothing worse than thinking you lost a couple of boys. The only real issue is that one of the boys went ape-shit like a spider monkey ala Rickey-Bobby's son's Walker and Texas Ranger from Talladega Nights.

This kid went berserk! He was probably one of the smallest kids physically of the group and he wanted to throw down with one of the bigger kids all because he thought the bigger kid took his party gift bag (which he didn't). And the tears and the screaming and the temper tantrum kicking and screaming laying on the floor. It was a sight to see! The same kid not only turned into a spider monkey but also went crazy because he wasn't beating everybody's bowling score. He hid behind vending machines and on bowling ball racks. I mean this was some major Sybil type behavior. When the other kids saw spider money carrying on, they were concerned at first but then proceed to tell Lisa and I that it's a normal occurrence at school as well! I felt bad for his father when he was finally picked up.

This weekend we will celebrate Shawn's birthday with my family and then the following weekend will conclude Shawn's three week long birthday celebration (his real birthday is on March 16th).

One other cute Katelyn story (you are probably sick of them by now) but last night Lisa asked Katelyn if she wanted to go see Grandma next weekend and she said "Just a minute, I be right back. I get my coat". I guess you had to be there!

Where's the Spider Monkey?

No comments: