Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Philly, back and then to Cleveland

Last week was a bit of a traveling week for me. I drove the nearly 8-1/2 hours to the Philadelphia area to do a sampling for QVC employees last week and to observe our on-air dog and pony show. The drive wasn't too horribly bad except for the first two hours in Pennsylvania where I experienced a bit of fog. I arrived at my hotel around 3:30pm and relaxed a bit before venturing out for a bit to eat. I really didn't feel like driving too far since I was traveling in a cargo in order to haul a trade show booth and product. I ended walking the quarter mile or so to a tavern called Duffer's. Had the fish and chips which was pretty disappointing (undercooked a bit and not very flavorful) and a couple a pints of Sierra Nevada. Since it was still early, I decided to see if I could find a grocery store to pick us a local ale or two to enjoy while watching some television. Strange thing happened, the grocery store didn't sell beer, the gas stations didn't sell beer and the liquor store I found didn't sell beer either. Rejected, I headed back to the room and watched some tube while texting Lisa at home.

The next morning I set up the trade show booth in the middle of QVC's atrium and answered questions about our product for a couple of hours and then tore the booth down and packed it back up in the cargo van. I did sell out of all the product I brought with me, which was a good thing! I then headed back to the room to shower and wait until later that evening to pick my boss up from the airport in the cargo van. I was probably being watched a bit seeing that I circled around the airport's arrival area in a pretty white cargo van for about a half hour but the police for the most part left me alone. After leaving the airport, we headed back to the QVC studio to watch our first television spot. It was pretty interesting watching the production. Pretty much several rooms with a few studios in each and cameras all over the place. All of us on hand other than the company spokesperson sat in a room with a television, a couple of comfortable couches, a full kitchen stocked with junk food and pop and a couple of PCs that tracked sales and call volume. It was a pretty nice set up; I'm glad I had the opportunity to experience it.

The following day, after about 4 hours sleep, I headed home. To get some much need sleep...I pretty much crashed as soon as I walked in the door.

Friday Lisa the Kids and I headed back to Cleveland for my mom's wedding ceremony that was to take place on Saturday. We decided to spend the night in a hotel so we wouldn't get in the way of Ron and Mom as they got ready. On the way to the hotel, Shawn and I spent some time at Dave and Busters playing video games and sipping on beer and "Darth Vaders" (aka Shirley Temples). I was pretty addicted to a Deal or No Deal, you win prize tickets depending on what was in your case. While Shawn and I were busy blowing cash on video games, Lisa and Katelyn headed to a couple of Marcs stores. I'm not a huge fan of Marcs but Lisa just loves the junk areas of these stores...I think she would actually detest the stores if she actually lived in the Cleveland area. We did end up meeting up with Mike, Mom and Ron for dinner at Santo's. We had a couple of pies which were pretty good and then headed back to Mom's for a few minutes before heading back to the hotel.

Saturday was Mom's big day. Lisa, the Kids and I headed to the florist to pick up a bouquet, a boutonniere and another large flower arrangement then to Rito's bakery to pick up a cake we ordered. Rito's has the very best Cassata cakes! The ceremony was nice, they had it at the condo they purchased together last fall. Mom looked very nice and looked happy if you looked through the tears. I would post pictures but Lisa is putting together a really nice photo album for them so I will not post the pictures for now (sorry Mom, you'll have to wait). After a few glasses of champagne and the obligatory photographs, it was off to dinner at J Bella. The food was really good, at least the Eggplant Parmesan I had was good.

Back at Mom's after dinner, we played a little Wii, had a beer or two and headed back to the hotel. Sunday morning, I took Shawn down to the pool before we headed back home by way of two other Marcs stops and a stop at Malley's Chocolates. Malley's always brings back good memories to me. Easter baskets filled with a Malley's solid chocolate bunny, Malley's chocolate bars that we sold for school fundraisers and the ever popular Malley's hot fudge sundae! All great Cleveland area traditions and they all bring back great childhood memories. Then back home.

Yesterday was report card day for Shawn. I can't believe that three quarters of the school year is finished already. Shawn did really well! He had 15 pluses (highest mark) up from 7 last report period! Unfortunately for me, the 15 pluses equated to $15 out of my pocket to him as a reward. For an added reward, we asked him what he wanted for dinner and he responded "I want to go to Hooters!"...that's my boy! For the very first time, Shawn actually ordered chicken wings...it brought a tear to my eye. It was really cute, he ordered the wings and when they arrived, he looked at me and said "Dad, you need to show me how to eat these". What a mess he made but I think he enjoyed them. After dinner, Shawn decided to blow the $60 he had saved between grades, birthday and other gifts on a Star Wars Lego kit. I wasn't all that pleased that he wanted to blow his money on another Lego set but it did at least afford me some much needed time alone with the Wii!

One other item of note, I just found out that the Cleveland Diocese is closing the church that I attended growing up. The one I attended CCD classes, made my first communion at and played C.Y.O. basketball. It's such a shame it has to close, it is one of the most prominent landmarks on the west side of Cleveland as you drive down I-90 heading downtown. Not sure why the closing of St. Ignatius of Antioch bothers me but it does. I still remember very clearly Sister Rita teaching CCD class and Father Rupp presiding over my first communion mass.

St. Ignatius of Antioch (Cleveland, OH)

No comments: